Please review this page completely before submitting your application.
Scholarships are awarded to Canadian high school students based on financial need, academic and application merit. Scholarships will allow for a student to attend one of the four Med YSP modules (Human Physiology, Molecular Biology & Genetics, Pharmacology & Toxicology, and Microbiology). The scholarship covers all the program fees excluding accommodation, transport to and from the program, and lunch.
The following information needs to be submitted before April 29, 2018:
- A completed Youth Summer Programs Scholarship Application
- General Information
- Application Questions (see note below)
- Supplemental documents
- A copy of your high school transcript
- A copy of your resume
- Income Status Form
- Supporting Letter on school letterhead from your science teacher and/or guidance counsellor (see note about the supporting letter below)
- Module Preference
When filling out your initial application, you will have a limited time frame to submit your information before it times you out of the system. Please review the following questions and prepare your answers BEFORE beginning the application process. We suggest preparing your answers in a word document and simply copying and pasting them into the text boxes when you are happy with them. You have one chance to submit your application and these questions cannot be saved and continued at a later time. Please take note of the word limits. If you are above these limits then that answer will not be considered.
- Why are you interested in the YSP at the University of Toronto? (2000 character limit)
- Why are you interested in health or science? (2000 character limit)
- What are your plans for the summer? (2000 character limit)
- What are your short-term goals and how do you plan on achieving them? (2000 character limit)
- What are your long-term goals and how do you plan on achieving them? (2000 character limit)
- Financial Need details (Scholarships are awarded based on financial need. Provide details and information about your financial situation that would allow the selection committee to assess why a scholarship is necessary for you to attend Youth Summer Programs. 2000 character limit.)
Types of Scholarships Available
1 – General Scholarship
- Canadian high school students only (you must attend a high school within Canada)
- Currently enrolled in grade 10, 11, or 12
- Demonstrate financial need
- Good academic record
Disclaimer: If the scholarship applicant has applied for a regular YSP module or is taking another summer school program, the applicant will no longer be eligible for the YSP scholarship.
2 – Aboriginal scholarship
Similar to the general scholarship, however specifically suited for Aboriginal Students. The same eligibility guidelines apply, however less emphasis is placed on the financial need.
If you choose not to disclose your aboriginal ethnicity then you can simply submit a general scholarship application.
- Prepare your answers to the questions listed above BEFORE beginning your application
- Go to the online registration system and select which scholarship you are applying for
- You will be asked to set up an account. Please ensure that you type in your email address correctly, as once it is set, this will become the username for your account (typo and all).
- You will then be directed to select the student, please fill in the information
- Registration Forms will become available, submit all the general information as well as your answers to the questions above (try to do so quickly as you may be timed out of the system if it takes too long)
- Submit your answers (make sure this information is correct and to your liking as you will only get one chance to submit this information)
- Wait for the confirmation email with more information about supplemental information
- Submit your supplemental information including; Resume, Most recent Academic Transcript, Income Status, and Supporting letter from a science teacher or guidance counsellor (see note about supporting letter below) BEFORE April 29, 2018.
- Those accepted will receive notice in mid-May and will be directed towards the next steps required for their registration
NB. A certain number of positions in the program are set aside for scholarship students. Therefore even if regular registration is full, scholarships are still available.
Submitting your Supporting Letter
Please see the attached document for more information about submitting your supplemental letter. Please DO NOT SUBMIT THE LETTER YOURSELF.
Applications are due April 29, 2018. Please ensure that you submit ALL your documents, including supplemental, are in well before this deadline in the event of any technical problems.